Wednesday 29 October 2008

Jones aims for Ashes Return

Simon Jones the reverse swinging England seamer who caused Australia all sorts of problems in the 2005 ashes series is on another comeback trail from yet another injury and subsequent operation. Jones has now set his sights on forcing himself into contention for the ashes series next summer but is also making sure that he takes this latest comeback one step at a time.

Jones told Setanta "I definitely feel like I am coming back, and was playing well last season."

"I have always had confidence in myself, it is something that has followed me through my career."

"I still have massive hopes to play for England and The Ashes are coming up next summer but my first goal is to get back on the field, get back into pre-season and be as fit as I possibly can because if I am not on the field then I am not in contention."

Jones was bowling very impressively for Worcestershire last season before the body broke down again; he took 42 wickets at an average of 18.02 in 2008 with best figures of 5-30 in the county championship. There was, in my opinion, a very strong case to include Jones in the disastrous Darren Pattinson test match against South Africa. It's hard to understand why Jones was over looked for that match, perhaps the selectors spoke to someone within Worcestershire and were told that Jones was not physically ready for a test return (which was obviously proven correct later in the season).

Of course a lot has changed within the England set up since Jones was last involved in 2005, there is a new coach Peter Moores to impress and of course Kevin Pietersen the new England captain since the departure of Michael Vaughan.

I wish Simon Jones all the best in his latest comeback quest; it is so frustrating for an athlete with such talent to be sidelined for long periods, plus we need his reverse swing back!